Temperatures are rising, and many of us are reaching for the thermostats to stay cool. But there are also energy-efficient ways that will help you stay comfortable while controlling your costs. Check out these tips from Hydro One:
- Open the windows on breezy days. Ventilation is the least costly and most energy-efficient way to cool your home. Open a few windows to create cross ventilation and let a refreshing breeze come through.
- Put food on the grill. Using large appliances like your oven when cooking can add a lot of indoor heat. Cook outdoors on the barbecue instead.
- Draw your curtains. Keeping blinds and curtains closed during the day blocks out sunlight and will help keep the cool air inside.
- Take care of your thermostat. Keep your thermostat out of direct sunlight. Set it to 25°C when you are at home and raise it to 28°C when you leave the house for optimal energy efficiency.
- Invest in a ceiling fan. Having a ceiling fan will allow you to raise your thermostat settings and save energy without affecting your comfort. Set the fan to spin counter-clockwise to create a downward cooling breeze instead of running the air conditioning.
Find more tips at www.hydroone.com/coolingguide.